Monday, March 12, 2012

Balance

We have come to realize in the past few weeks that we have created a problem in our home.  We are all spending to much time using electronic mind wasters instead of using our imaginations and using precious time wisely.

We got a Wii for the kids for Christmas.  We said we would never get a video game system in our home.  It would just create problems we don't need.  Then we were hearing from friends how some of the games were great for creating fun family time.  So we caved and got one.

It is a monster.

The computer is too!

The kids want to play on the computer all the time.  If not that, then the Wii.  If not that, then watch a movie or TV (movies we borrow from the library, and all they watch on tv is either PBS kids, or a few shows on qubo).

They have become addicted to these things.  And it was time to check where this behavior was coming from.

M. E.

Yikes, when I looked at how much time I spend on the computer each day, it is a bit frightning.  It all starts out harmless enough.  Looking for a recipe, updating the blog, checking friend's blogs, paying a bill, placing a hold on books at the library, looking up homeschool ideas, crafts, music, clothes....the list could go on.  I tend to go from one thing to another, and before I know it, an hour has passed.  It is soo easy to get sucked into the web.

I am reminded about my verse for the year...
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31
Is everything I'm doing for the glory of God?  I don't think so!

So..... we've made a few changes.  More to the point, I'VE made a few changes.  You probably noticed the lack of posting the past month.  That was purposeful.  I tried to stay away from the computer as much as possible.  If I want the kiddo's to cut back on electronics, I knew I would need to do it also.  I've come up with a plan (hopefully I'll stick with it and it will work) to only be on the computer for certain amounts of time each day.  The kids are only allowed electronics for a certain amount of time each day also.  After a couple of days of whining (mostly by me!), we found for the most part we could live without it!  Well, at least live with less of it!  The weather has been fairly nice this past week, and this week promises to look even better.  Spring is on it's way and it is time to get outdoors.  The kids spent a good amount of time outside last week, and I know they will this week too.  Hopefully this phase of our lives was just due to being stuck inside during the winter. 

We all have better attitudes now that we know what is expected about electronic use, and we are eager to keep the warm weather so we can have fun outside...and start that garden and flower beds!

Have a blessed day!

Blessings,

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!