Monday, November 26, 2012

Why I Didn't Wish Hubby A Happy Birthday!

Hubby's birthday was last week.  I of course DID wish him a happy birthday, and made sure the kid's did also.  But I was asked this week, why I didn't wish my husband a happy birthday....on Facebook.

I love facebook.  It is a great way to stay connected to old friends, or family members who live far away.  It is a great way to notify a lot of people of news or prayer requests.  It's a great way for our homeschool co~op to announce upcoming events so everyone knows about them.   It's a great way to show pictures of that beautiful new baby, or wedding, or vacation, or new home.  Facebook can be a great tool.

I hate Facebook.  It is a huge time stealer.  It is so annoying to page through everyone's political rantings.  I get so many requests for ridiculous games.  Do I really need to know when one of my friends "likes" a post by someone I don't know?  And do I really need to know that someone (again...that I don't know!) has posted a comment on a post I commented on?  In order to get specials with some companies, I must like their facebook page, then I get all kinds of posts I really don't want to read.  Facebook is annoying!

OK, so I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook.  I think it can be a great tool, but I've learned that if I'm not careful with it, it can also be harmful.   I prefer the old fashioned way of communicating.  Face to face. 

So...yes, I did wish my hubby a happy birthday.  I said it to his face and followed it with a kiss.  You can't do that on Facebook....or have they figured out a way to do that too?

Blessings,

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31

14 comments:

  1. You sure hit that nail right on the head about FB being a time stealer. I too enjoy being able to stay connected with family that live away but do not like all the same things u said about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha--I like FB because I live so far away from "home"--as in where my family lives and where I grew up. But I don't see any reason why FB birthday wishes are necessary when you live close enough to the person to wish them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Mommy Moments! Thats the exact reason I got rid of my Facebook back in the summer. I still check in every now and then when I can't sleep at night but I always deactivate it when I'm done. I can't stand it. Hope you have a good week and you continue to tell that hubby of yours happy birthday everyday {followed with a kiss, of course}

    whitneycroy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! How silly. Didn't it occur to whoever asked you that you didn't need to go online to wish him a happy birthday, since you live with him and could just tell him??

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so besides the fact that we're both moms of five, we have another common thread... I have a love/hate relationship with FB, too. In fact, I just finally "got with it" and started an FB account last month - friends think I'm just old fashioned. Which I am, because I like face to face time far better than screen time. So fun to 'Meet you here today!" Blessings from Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Jess! Great post. I have a love/hate relationship with FB too. And if our 2 oldest children and their children live so far away from us, I wouldn't have a FB account. I do, however, love to see the most recent pics of my grandchildren on there. :)
    Hope you're having a blessed week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you. I hate seeing my news feed all clogged up.I still use it to keep in contact with family and friends but I'm not one to post any of the political rants.

    BTW I found you from Mommy Moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have a facebook account, but it became harmful for me. I now just have a flikr account for my family to see photos of my little man we live far away from family too. Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better face to face than Facebook, lol! I wish people would try to mind their businesses, or rather ask some questions privately. I am careful with Facebook too, everyone should be.
    From Winsome Wednesday, have a super blessed day!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of FB either, and totally understand where you're coming from. Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother with the blog FB page, since I rarely even visit my personal page. Since we live very far away from family and friends, I almost feel obligated to the personal page, but even then, I don't check it daily. It's really not a priority of mine to know exactly what everyone's up to at any moment of the day. Thanks for sharing with me this week. Hope your husband had a really special birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jess, I giggled reading your post. I love your ambivalence to facebook. Such a powerful tool but we need to use it properly. So glad you linked up on Winsome Wednesday and look forward to seeing you there again next week
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're not on facebook at all... for many of the reasons you mentioned hating it. :) But what I really hate about facebook is that because I'm not on it, I never hear from some of my far away friends I used to get emails from. They post on facebook and that's all. I don't hear from missionary friends, old friends from the west coast, or anyone. While I'm sure facebook is a wonderful tool... since I'm not on it, it's purely annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can block "likes" from people. You can also unlike businesses after you get the special you want. This helps a lot. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, FB used to steal a ton of time from me....now blogging does....LOL :) Thanks for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!