Monday, September 17, 2012

Large Family Living~~Switching Summer and Winter Clothing


Fall is creeping up on us, and it's also when I start looking at filling our dressers with winter clothing.  With 5 children, it can sometimes be overwhelming (and expensive!) dealing with clothes for each of them.  While I certainly don't have "it" all together, I've found a system that works for our family.

First, I make a list for each of the kids that includes what they have and what they need.  I go through last years clothing to see if anything still fits them, or can be handed down to another child.  I also go through our boxes of clothing that haven't fit them yet.  We make a pile of clothing that can be given away, a pile that needs to be thrown away, and a pile of clothing that could be used again for other reasons (I like to use the denim from jeans to make blankets or use t~shirts for rags).  We take care of those piles, then move on.  Then I get to work on that list.  I write down what they have as far as jeans, shirts, skirts, sweaters, undergarments, pajamas, etc. and also write down what they need to get yet.  I have the older kids do this by themselves, and I do it for the younger ones.  When this has been done for each of the kids, then I make a master list for all the kiddo's of what we will need to buy.

We buy most of our clothing at thrift stores, and we've been blessed over the years by others who have shared their kids outgrown clothing.  We do sometimes like to shop at Kohl's as they often have great clearance sales which I can sometimes combine with a 30% off coupon.  I like to make my lists early, so I have that list in my purse ready in case I find myself at a garage sale or thrift store.  I don't want to waste money because I thought a child could use something only to find out they didn't.  (Been there, done that!)

For our family, organization in this area is not only necessary, it is a way I can show good stewardship by sticking to our clothing budget, and blessing others with clothing we no longer need.  How do you tackle the clothing battle?

Have a great day!

Blessings,

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31

3 comments:

  1. Tried to email you instead of leaving a comment, but couldn't find an email address on your blog. But I wanted you to know that one of the youtube videos that was featured below this post when I read it used the F-word. I'm thinking it's some kind of advertising and you were unaware of the content. It was called "Seriously funny" about a girl in the tub...I didn't finish watching, but wanted you to know in case no one else had told you. I used to have some ads on my blog, but found I couldn't control the content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking into it.
    Blessings,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote a post about switching clothes also, LOL, seems to be on our minds this time of year :-) I enjoyed reading what you shared and find that I did this much like you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!