Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Breakfast Of Champions?

We have something going on in our house I am calling the great cereal debate.  I have a love/hate relationship with cereal.

It's an easy breakfast for the kids.
BUT...
It is full of things they really don't need to be putting in their bodies.

It's something all of my kids can agree on.
BUT...
It's costly as our family can easily eat a box or more in one morning depending on the size of the box.

It's yummy! {I must admit, even I love cereal!}
BUT...
So is cheesecake~that doesn't make it a good choice for breakfast!

I've been in this cereal debate for some time now.  I make the announcement that ALL cereal will be banished from the house from this point forward.  I get children complaining that they will never get to enjoy breakfast again!  I try it for a couple of weeks, then cave and go back to the cereal again.  Because it's easy.  Because I'm tired of the complaining.  Because I just don't want to deal with it anymore.  Then start the process all over again! 

I wanted to find some new breakfast foods that are easy to make and healthy.  We have a few kiddo's who don't like oatmeal, and one who doesn't care for eggs too often.  I like to make breakfast foods for an easy lunch, so pancakes, waffles, French toast, and even scrambled eggs get made sometimes for lunches.  So I've hit the web trying to find some healthy alternatives.

One of the best sites I've found is Heavenly Homemakers.  She has tons of recipes that are made with real food!  This is something I have been looking into for a while and would love for my family.  She has a cookbook I think I'm going get.   Anyway~a  few of the recipes I've tried or want to try are...

breakfast_cakes
 
 
 {these are absolutely delicious!}
 
 
{Our kids love poptarts, but have you read the label?}
 
A few other recipe's I have found on other websites and want to try
 
 
 
 
 
 

I'm finding that there are lots of alternatives out there to boxed cereal.  Many of these things I could make ahead of time and freeze, therefore making them an easy, quick breakfast.  I love that idea!
 
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8
 
I'd love to know what you make for breakfast for your family!
 
Blessings,


5 comments:

  1. Yes, Jess. You are so right about the reasons we start giving our children these "fun" but unhealthy foods.

    And some things I never bought for my children, I started buying for my grandchildren. But since they live in town, I've started backing off of the junky stuff and I'm trying to make healthy alternatives or buy healthier ones.

    Your recipes look wonderful here.
    thanks for sharing on TGIF.
    Bless you,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just started having quinoa as a cereal substitute and my daughter really likes it. A cup of cooked quinoa, a sprinkle of cinnamon and Stevia, fresh berries and milk. Yum! Thanks for linking up to Thrive @ Home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you posted this! My family as recently undergone a HUGE revamp of our diets. We got rid of all cereals too and eat oatmeal and quinoa as well. I make my own granolas and honestly....the kids don't miss anything! My parents don't get it at all and are constantly bringing over boxes of lucky charms and coco puffs and sneaking them to my kids! They think I am being mean but I believe I am doing what is best!!! Thanks for sharing at the Friday follow along at www.frugalfitfamily.com . I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked breakfast for years but now that my kids are grown (the ones still at home) only want cereal. It is soooooo expensive UNhealthy!!!! We used to have chickens and had eggs something-or-other when we had eggs and oatmeal when we did not have eggs. Waffles or pancakes or something else homemade on the weekends. We have done quinoa and aramanth and made granola. It is discouraging but what I have learned from my oldest son (just turned 30) who went through a stage where he didn't want much that was healthy, is that now he is married and eats healthy...who would have guessed!!

    Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I consider it no coincidence that I am reading this post in the early morning hours, before I need to start breakfast. And I live with a bunch of cereal lovers myself! Thank you SO MUCH for the new {healthy} alternatives to those costly bags that disappear in moments and leave my kids hungry in an hour! Bless you! I hope you'll link up over at Walking Redeemed again today!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!