I have found lots of little ways to save a dollar here and there. This series "Saving Money Around The House" is just a way to compile some of them for you to use also. Here's a few tips I've learned to save money in the kitchen.
- Make your own dishwasher detergent. I gave you a recipe HERE.
- Use vinegar as your rinse aid in the dishwasher. So much cheaper than store bought rinse aids and works just as well!
- Use a spaghetti noodle instead of a toothpick to check if your baked goods are done. I always have spaghetti in the house, and haven't bought toothpicks in years.
- Get rid of paper products. We don't use paper towels, instead, we use rags to clean up spills. Use cloth napkins instead of paper (total honesty here, right now we don't do this, but I'm keeping an eye out at thrift stores for cloth napkins so we have a stash!). You can also get rid of paper plates, although for us, we still use them for our Friday night family movie nights.
- Don't open the fridge or freezer as often. When I get groceries, we put the freezer and fridge stuff in seperate piles and then put them all away at the same time. Only opening the fridge doors once saves it from working so hard to keep cool~especially in the summer. Use the same theory when baking and cooking, just grab everything in one trip.
- Make your own window cleaner~I use vinegar and water. You can also make your own floor cleaner and cleaner for the sink.
- Work your baking and cooking times together. If I can bake two things in the oven at the same time, it saves a little money by not using the oven as much. If I can't bake them together, I'll make one thing right after the other to save pre~heating the oven twice.
- Only run the dishwasher when it is full. There are days when our dishwasher gets ran twice, but we don't run it unless it is full.
- Don't heat up the house in the summer. We try to grill often during the summer to keep our cooling costs down. Sometimes....we even have ice cream for supper!!
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31