Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013~Squash~~The Neglected Side Dish


Squash may not be neglected in your family, but in mine it sure is!  I am the only one who loves this creamy, tasty vegetable.  I couldn't even get my family to eat it by telling them it was technically a fruit, not a vegetable!  Anyway, in an effort to get squash into more Thanksgiving dinners, I'm sharing the easy way my grandma made it.

First you start with one or two wonderful looking squash.  Don't be intimidated by that tough outer skin.  Once you get past that, you'll be well on your way to a delicious side dish!
Cut the squash in half lengthwise.  This is how it will look when you open it up.
Scoop out those seeds.  Just grab a spoon and spoon them into a bowl.  Save these seeds.  They will make a delicious snack for later!! 

Put a pat of butter in each well from the scooped out seeds.  Sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar and place in a preheated 375* oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until soft. {it took closer to an hour for both of my squash to completely cook}
 When the squash in soft, scoop it away from the skin.  {sorry, forgot to get a picture of that step!}  Then place the squash into a blender.
Blend for just a moment or two.  I don't like to blend too long, because then it gets the consistency of baby food {and then I don't want to eat it either!}, but enough to get the lumps out and make it creamy.  Add pepper, salt and a little more brown sugar if needed.
ENJOY!!
 
I'm curious, how many of you are squash lovers?  Have a delicious Thanksgiving dinner!
 
 
Blessings,


Homestead For Him now has a Facebook page.  Like what you see here, won't you like my page?!  Click the like button on the sidebar or go HERE!!



1 comment:

  1. We don't eat squash very often. I always forget about it when grocery shopping I guess... We do like it through! Thanks for linking up with Thrive @ Home Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!