Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013~Turkey Stock

 
While the thanksgiving turkey can last for a while after the big day, you can also make that bird go farther by using the bones and making a delicious and nutritious stock.
 
Take all the bones and throw them into a large pot.  Get them as clean as you can {because you want to use all that meat!}, but don't worry if there is still some meat on them.  It will add more flavor to your stock.  Throw in some vegetables into the pot as well.  I usually use onions {leave the peels on them}, celery, carrots, and green peppers.  I also add a generous sprinkling of pepper and garlic powder as well.  Then add a splash of vinegar to the pot.  The vinegar helps draw healthy minerals out of the bones.
 
Cover the bones and veggies with water.  Heat it until it is just about to boil, then simmer.  You can simmer it for a few hours or overnight {I'm not a fan of leaving something on the stove overnight, but maybe in a crockpot I would consider it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a crockpot large enough!}.  I had mine on the stove for about 4 hours or so.
 
Strain the veggies from the broth and your ready to go.   I canned this batch, but you can also put it in the freezer.  You now have healthy, delicious homemade turkey stock to make soups with. 
 
A frugal, healthy, and easy way to make your own turkey stock.  And you were going to just throw those bones in the garbage!!
 
Blessings,


Homestead For Him now has a Facebook page.  Like what you see here, won't you like my page?!  Click the like button on the sidebar or go HERE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!