Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful Thursday!




“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
I Thessalonians 5:16-18



We all have people in our lives that make an impact on us.  That make a difference in our lives.  That you can't imagine life without.   In my life that person was my grandmother. 


This week I want to express my gratitude to my grandmother.  She is my dads mother.  She passed away 8 years ago this week.  I am very thankful that she was a part of my life, and for the things that she has taught me.  She was one of the kindest women I know.  I just want to share something with you that I shared at my bible study this week.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my grandmothers death.  I still miss her greatly, and think of her often.  I have had her on my mind a lot the past several months.  I didn't understand why, but certain sounds, smells, or sights would trigger a memory of her.  I have been thinking of the legacy she left behind.  She loved her family deeply and showed it in both words and actions.  I realized only recently that in my childhood, she was Christ to me.  She didn't speak to me of God's love.  She didn't pray with me or read the bible with me.  Her and grandpa did take me to church with them occasionally, but there was no discussion of the message or service~at least that I can remember.  But she showed me about God's love through her actions.  I don't remember a harsh word from her, although I do remember correction at times.  I saw her bring food to people many times for many different reasons.  I heard her call friends on the phone to see how they were doing.  I saw her help others when they needed it.  I saw the love she had for her family in everything she did for us.  She loved to bake and would always send us home with some of her goodies.  She and grandpa would keep us grandkids at her house for a week at a time, in order to spend time devoted to each grandchild.  Those are some of my best memories.   She treated each one of us as though we were special, because we were special to her!  She wasn't perfect, but to me she was the perfect grandma~just the one God knew I would need in my life.

My grandpa turned 82 this summer and still lives in the house he and grandma built 30 years earlier.  So much in my life still reminds me of her, and how I wish she were still here.  She never held 3 of our children (in fact, since she passed there have been 10 more great grandchildren born), and has been missing from countless family gatherings.  But I rest in the knowledge that we will be together again some day.  And until we meet again, I have lots of great memories of her~and for that I am very thankful.

For more thankful posts, please visit this months host, Laurie, at Women Taking A Stand.  Have a great week!

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. My condolences to your grandma's passing. You've been blessed because you were able to share your life with her.

    My Thankful Thursday post here
    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!