Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fun DIY Project~Make Your Own Butter

If you're looking for a fun and cheap activity to do with your kids, this is it!!  I recently did this with my homeschool co~op class and they loved it!  Since then, Sweetcheeks has been asking to do this almost every day!

It really is quite simple!  You just need some heavy whipping cream and a glass jar.  A hand mixer works well also, but then you'd miss out of the "funnest" part {sweetcheeks' description}!

Add some cream to the glass jar.  Any amount is fine.  If you want a small amount of butter, just add a small amount of cream.  If you're looking for an upper arm workout, then fill that jar!!  You can also add a pinch of salt if you want.

Next step.  Shake jar. 
 

Shake some more. 
 
Keep shaking.
 
When you get tired of shaking, have someone else shake the jar!
Look, you now have whipped cream.  Too bad that's not what we're making today!

Keep shaking!
 
Almost there!

Shake your entire body!!

Look, you now have a soft lump bathing in milk!

You did it!!

Yep, that's butter!

Strain the milk from the butter.  Save that milk.  This is buttermilk and can be used in recipe's.  Then wash the butter in cold water.  This gets the buttermilk off the butter which can make the butter go bad.

Put your butter in a container, and enjoy!

Blessings,

Homestead For Him now has a Facebook page.  Like what you see here, won't you like my page?!  Click the like button on the sidebar or go HERE!!

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I used to do this with fresh cow's milk many years ago. I do not have access to a dairy cow anymore, so, not butter like that these days. That's awesome though... It was fun and quite a work out. Who needs a gym when you can make butter and get a workout? haha...
    Happy Tuesday!

    P.S. I following you from Time-warp Wife Titus 2sday post today. You can find my post here:
    http://awifesreflections.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/what-does-selfless-love-look-like

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make butter like this for my mom when I was young. Mmmmm! It tastes so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's pretty cool. I never made butter before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make butter with my kids when they were younger. So much fun and it really tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade butter is the best! And what a great way to entertain the kiddos and get rid of that extra energy! lol Thanks for sharing this with Thrive @ Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to invite you to the Friday Flash Blog Party, the best linky in town! I hope you'll join us and link up if you haven't already. Who knows. You may just get highlighted!

    The party goes on ALL weekend.

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! In the spirit of encouraging others, please do not leave comments that are offensive or hurtful. Thanks for stopping by!